Thursday 28 July 2011

Dissertation Re-think

After starting to research into my initial dissertation question, I started to realise that the topic I had chosen wasn't holding my interest. I thought that if this was how I was feeling about it now then in a few months time, in the middle of writing it, then it could end up being a bit of a nightmare so it was best to think of a new idea now.

*****NEW DIRECTION*****

After the recent publicity surrounding the 'one year to go' mark in the countdown to the London Olympics - it spawned my new idea of my dissertation topic. I'd like to address the reasons behind the controversial response to the 2012 logo and brand, what people care so much about it and how this was one of the first times I had really noticed so many people voicing their opinion on a piece of graphic design that was to represent our national identity.



Within this topic I thought that I could look into areas including; logos and brand identity/ the studio that designed it and the concept/ reaction and analysis of it both within and outside of the design world/ graphic design in the public consciousness.
For further design related discussion I also thought that I could look into the history of Olympic branding including successes and failures and reasons why they were positively or negatively received such as the Lance Wyman designed identity for the Mexico '68 Games.



Possible Dissertation question:

"Identify and discuss the reasons behind the controversial response to the London 2012 Olympic Games logo and brand"

Ok, so I'm going to think on this further and then post a new proposal onto my blog as soon as possible. Also need to find out how to let someone know I've changed my idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment